Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Letter from Sylvia Griffin wife of Samuel dated 1852

Underhill, Vt. May 30, 1852
Dear beloved children I now will try to write a few lines to let you know I have not forgotten you o, no your mother has not forgotten you altho time seems long and the distance great yet tis good to receive a letter from you tho directed to Harrison. Was glad to hear you are all well now. Albert you understand there has been changes in our family, yes indeed there has. Now your father is no more with us he fell asleep in Jesus we trust last Sept. 19th. He was worn out with sickness, pain and ditness, he made his will and fixed the affairs to leave. Sold the land, some to Orlows to boys and some to Woolcott and took notes for cash but reserved a home for me in the house that you built having settled his business he said I give all up. I give my self up I shall soon know what it is to die. You may wonder why I am at Underhill, well I will tell you, Sylvia Fuller lives there and so I live with her and family. I came here last Jan. my health is not very good I feel the infirmities of age hasting on and soon, very soon, I shall be gone when a few more greifs I have tasted, but I will not murmur nor repine. God has led me through so far and I trust myself with him, he is the same yesterday, today and forever, yes Albert although I may wander and stray, yet God is true and has marked out the way that we should follow his steps and has said be thou faithful unto death and he will give a crown of life. This from your mother and friend.
Albert B. Griffin Sylvia Griffin

No comments:

Post a Comment